Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Is Criticism to powerful in the performing industry?

The performing industry is a very harsh, critical business and I believe you need a strong character to achieve recognition.  With reality TV shows (X factor, Dancing on Ice and Strictly Come Dancing) being a big part of the performing industry we experience and watch the contestants being criticized in an extremely insensitive manner on a weekly basis and this sometimes causes public outcry.

At college I constantly received corrections and sometimes not in a polite approach, however I believe this has make me stronger contender for the industry. Everybody is different, some people find criticism to be very embarrassing and it can cause a major knock to there confidence, where as others find it constructive and useful to guide them in the right direction.  Performing Arts colleges are well-known to be highly critical not only on talent but also on appearance. On stage you have the audience to impress and some people want flawlessness; you are constantly open to criticism as a performer. I do feel people who retaliate and get upset easily with criticism shouldn’t choose dance as a career as you are constantly being scrutinized and observed. Do dancers try to achieve the best simply because of the intense pressure?

I read an article which I found to be very relevant-

A ballerina who overcame anorexia doesn’t need or want an apology from the New York Times critic who made a crack about her weight in a review of “The Nutcracker,” saying the comment hurt initially but is just part of being a professional in a field that demands perfection from those who work in it.
“As a dancer, I do put myself out there to be criticized, and my body is part of my art form,” Jenifer Ringer, 37, told TODAY’s Ann Curry during an interview Monday. “At the same time, I am not overweight.”
“It is his opinion. He is a critic, and he’s paid to put his opinion in the paper. I know as a dancer that I am going to be criticized,” Ringer said.


It is a field where our bodies are important. As dancers, we are taught to try to be perfect in every way.”

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting question. In my current job we have recently been trying on costumes for opening night. The producer has made comments on some of the girls figures such as complimenting the tiniest dancer and crticising the biggest (which by everyday standards she is not big at all). Is this okay? Are we to just sit back and take that? Well I guess the answer is yes. It is a part of our industry. I feel dancers are very similar to models in the sense of putting our bodies on display. We are often dressed in small booty shorts or a bra top and go onstage and dance. It is just the field we are in. I know when I am onstage in rehearsals at the moment that producers, choreographers and directors are all going to be comparing one girl to the next and making comments. It is a competitive industry and one obsessed with looks, which kind of touches on the subject that Ross brought up about casting and whether it is all on what we look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could provide so many thread lines to go off on..
    It could link to ross's inquiry not only because of the casting side but why people give up on this career? which relates to yours..
    Is the pressure too much for many? we all retaliate differently. Always compared physically and talent wise, the intensity is so much stronger in the performing world, a random example of another career, my sisters a masseuse but doesnt crumble under the pressure of being compared to others....

    ReplyDelete