Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Should you master one style of dance or be skilled in all?

This question is one I ask myself all the time. I have trained in all styles of dance, ranging from ballet to hip-hop however I am not an expert at one. I now find myself having to attend lots of different classes to keep excelling in all areas of dance which can be stressful. My CV looks very impressive and I am able to offer a wide range of dance styles so I am versatile; however I am never going to have the main part in Swan Lake! You have a greater chance of being in employment if you are an all-rounded performer as there are more opportunities available, so for me I believe this is the best option. For some performers they are amazing talented at one style so they are successful anyway.

I have experienced that on a performance basis I find it very easy to adapt my mood and expressions as I have practised vast amounts of different chorography and styles. This again enhances my probability of employment and also makes me a better dancer.

Fortune favors the bold. “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.” (Tony Robbins) Do it, do it, freals, because a versatile dancer is a good dancer."

No comments:

Post a Comment